10mbit fiber to home; NAT router can't fill pipe

Just be aware that there's "Pre-N", "Draft-N", and someday next year or so "Really-N-And-This-Time-We-Mean-It".

formatting link
Also, there are issues with routers crashing even when they can keep up with the wirespeed. Grep google news for my rants on this subject over the last year.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

I plead guilty of cross posting, but it yielded these suggestions:

"Not exactly industrial strength, but take a look at the D-link "GamerLounge" routers, (DGL-4100 wired, and 4300 wireless).I have the 4100. It supports much larger route tables than the older little home routers, thousands of connections compared to hundreds. It has a more robust processor, and has a 10/100 Mb WAN side connection and 10/100/1000 LAN side connection. You should be able to find it for about $150.

"As long as you don't want to do antivirus at your gateway, any FortiGate unit (even the lowly 50A) can handle your 10Mbps feed. For a

20Mbps feed, I'd look at at least the FG60, again, with no Virus Scanning at the gateway you'll be fine. On a 100Mbps feed you should probably look at a FG200. These recommendations are very, very ballpark, it depends what you want to do (what protections you want) and the character of the traffic. If you were just going to do NAT and port filtering/firewalling, even the 50A can do 60Mbps by spec though I've never seen anyone try to run on that hard before.

I think these start to get up around $1000, but its nice to see some more turnkey products in the gap between $6000 industrial cisco and $20 home routers.

Reply to
steve.follmer

Linksys has a line of "better" routers that may be business grade for about $250.

My problem with retail/consumer products for business use is (a) any application outside the diagrams shown in the manual is problametic and you're on unknown territiory as far as any tech support goes for your business, and (b) there is no product consistancy from month to month. The spare you buy or the one sent as a replacement on warranty may be an "improved" model with a different set of bugs.

Reply to
Al Dykes

You mean when I stay within the diagrams it should work ok? I want my money back. :)

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.