10G over Cat5?

What's the status of 10G Ethernet over copper? I've seen some mention of fiber, and "4x InfiniBand"(?) 4-pair twinax, but Cat5 (or better) is "Future, 2005 or early 2006".

Any idea if it'll happen, or what it'll look like?

Thanks!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

10 gig over Infiniband cable is the 802.3ak standard, which has been released--that's a short-distance interconnect for use within or between racks IIRC.

The last I heard (June 2005) on 802.3an was that it was going to go 55 meters over CAT6 cable or 100 meters over "Augmented CAT6". You can find more information at if you want to take the time to wade through it all--there's a lot of information in the public areas.

Reply to
J. Clarke

William,

I understand that the Augmented Category 6 standard which will include

10Gig Ethernet is due to be published this June. Be ready to plan for a lot more pathway space (don't forget about cable management in the rack) for these new cables. From what I have seen so far it will be 2-3 times the size of a category 5e cable and will also include possible new termination technique's/instructions to achieve the performance.

Joe Golan, RCDD

-------------------------------------

William P.N. Smith wrote:

-- ##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.lans.ethernet - 4036 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Jgolan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.