10BaseT links with 100BaseT

I have an issue where a 10 Mbps system (non auto-negotiation) links with another port on 100 Mbps port which is also non negotiatited/ forced. Is this happening due to aliasing ?

The 100 Mbps port does not link with the 10 Mbps port in this situation.

Reply to
mail.spandey
Loading thread data ...

Link meaning that the light comes on, or that data actually goes through? If it is really forced it can't work either way.

When 100baseTX was new there were 100 only devices. After not so long, pretty much everything that did

100baseTX also did 10baseT. It is also possible that it is ignoring the force and doing it anyway.

That makes sense.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

The link up means the PHY detects that it is in linked state. I am trying to understand what link up means in a 10BaseT PHY here. Is it the NLP pulses or can the data transmitted by 100 BaseT be sensed as link.

I am not sure it is ignoring, as both PHY are 10/100/1000 capable and are newer PHYs. We have purposely forced a mismatch and were expecting to see link down on both ends. Now i am confused as to what makes the link come up on a 10BaseT PHY. What is physically happening between these PHYs on the wire.

Reply to
mail.spandey

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: (snip, I wrote)

As far as I know, either link pulses or data will do it.

Some turn off the link light as an indicator for active data being received, but I would still call the link as up.

Since 100baseTX uses continuous signaling it doesn't seem surprising that a 10baseT receiver would see something.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.