10BaseT Half Duplex Switch?

Is there a cheap switch I can put in the middle of an existing run of Cat5 cable that will force it to 10BaseT Half Duplex, and repeat the signal?

I've got a 300-foot (plus or minus) cat5 link running between a wifi router and a client computer, with a junction at the halfway point (two cat5 wall jacks with a jumper cable between them). It'll link up at 100BaseT, but won't pass data.

I've got the link running by forcing the client computer to 10BaseT HD, but I'd like to repeat the signal at the halfway point...

[I know it would be "best" to replace the wiring with (say) a fiber link, but the wires are already in place, and no-one's going to pay to replace them...]
Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

ebay

Reply to
Al Dykes

If it's a 300 _foot_ run and 100TX is not working, then fix the blasted cable. 100TX is designed to run over 100 _meters_ or 328 feet of CAT5E. If it's not doing it something's busted.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You want a 10 Base-T repeater (or a switch with 10M only ports if you dont mind full duplex).

Easiest way is to but something reliable 2nd hand - an old 3Com or Synoptics / Bay hub would be my choice.

Alternatively, you can still get 10M hubs from the likes of Netgear....

Reply to
stephen

This sounds like a classic case of a split pair. Fast Ethernet should work fine of 100 meters (328 feet) of Cat 5.

Which pinnout did you use T568A or T568B? Fast Ethernet uses two of the four pair. If the pairs are not properly terminate it will often work at 10 Mbps but not 100 Mbps. Reterminate to cable correctly and it should work fine.

/Tom

Reply to
Tom Schmidt

Yeah, I thought I was real careful, have to check the connections again and see what I can find. The client computer blew up, and the local supplier wants a buck a megabyte for memory, so I'm going to have to get back to this project. 8*}

Thanks!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Sure. A standard cheap (now obsolescent) 10baseT _hub_.

Won't pass data where? Do you have a good http / telnet connection to the router? If so, they WiFi may be hosed.

Sounds like a split pair as already mentioned.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.