100Mbit Fast Ethernet Bandwidth

"Charles Turner" top-posted:

OK, regardless of the issues that Dale brought up with CobraNet not playing well with other Ethernet gear, if you need to push {CobraNet, Ethernet} over those kinds of distances you are going to _have_ to use fiber. Sounds like you have phone lines, and you need to build a separate fiber Ethernet for CobraNet, and there just isn't any middle ground.

Sorry, but bandwidth issues just aren't relevant.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

Optical fiber is pretty much mandatory for what you are asking for. Cobranet requires a standards compliant ethernetwork. You can push analog audio over twisted pair cable, the phone company has been doing it since before I was born. I had made the assumption that the application was a single performance venue, where keeping your audio syncronized is critical. For your application, with probably lots of different venues, slight delays of audio arrival are likely not going to be an issue. Is this an amusement park? then you can share the data network with other users, as sporadic delay doesn't matter. If this is a single very large venue, like a race track, then time synchronization is very important for audio intelligibility, which leads you back to a dedicated network.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Me too.

I had never heard of CobraNet however I had a look at:-

formatting link
This makes it clear that CobraNet is not supported other that over 100Mbps Ethernet (or I suppose greater speed).

Mr Smith says that you need fiber.

I agree.

You need to install a single mode fiber infrastructure with appropriate Ethernet switches.

Not meaning to be insulting you should consider employing someone strongly familiar with large scale data networks to ensure that your network meets your requirements.

There do exist pitfalls that the unwary or inexperienced may encounter.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.