Which Dual ethernet Cisco router for Cable modem <--> LAN ?

Hi Jaap,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Product Advisor:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294 U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom
Loading thread data ...

I am fortunate enough to have an ISP which offers unmetered Internet access using Motorola cable modems and offers a subscription which guarantees 10 Mbit/sec download and 1.2 Mbit/sec upload.

The unfortunate situation is that my Cisco 1605R is unable to cope with the current download speed of 6 Mbit/sec..

I am looking for a Cisco router which is able to route at least 10 Mbit/sec between two Ethernet ports.

I want to connect my LAN (some 12 computers) to one Ethernet port and connect the cable modem to another Ethernet port.

Which Cisco router can I use to do this?

There are only a few native dual ethernet routers but is it also possible to use a router with a WIC port and install an WIC Ethernet adapter?

Thanks in advance.

Jaap Hubert

Reply to
Jaap Hubert

I had the exact same situation - I upgraded to a 1721 (better than the discontinued 1720) and bought a 10baseT WIC to go with it. Works like a charm and no performance problems like the 1605. Should come with a VPN card aswell.

I wouldn't bother getting any of the dual ethernet 2600 versions unless you find a v. good deal - they're also a good deal noisier.

Reply to
Ben

What about the 1712? Cheaper than a 1721+WIC1ENET, and comes with 4port switch and a BRI port ... haven't checked on the performance yet ...

Reply to
Garry Glendown

Actually these look pretty good.

They were announcing after the EOS for the 1720 so they are probably the same performance specs as the 1721.

The 1712 has an ISDN BRI for backup, the 1711 has an analogue modem port.

formatting link

Reply to
Ben

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.