When bridging works faster than routing

We are facing a peculiar problem which is driving us to believe in supernatural ;)

To make a long story succinct, our ISP had provided us a month ago, with an EoATM 100 mbps link, between two locations, say A and B.

We have now reached a conclusion and the ISP agrees, that the core speed is terribly slow for a 100 mbps link. The provider has tested and confirmed that Point to Point is indeed 100mbps but only when we work with it at Layer 2.

When I configure the two routers (Site A and B) in 'bridging' mode and start data transfer across, the speed becomes incrementally fast ( which should be taken as normal in our case).

The moment I enable my routers in Routing mode, I get to suffer delays and the problems as discussed above in the thread.

Without bringing any switches (edge or core) into the picture on both sides, the delays still come into picture. Ip Router configurations has been reset and put to bare minimum needed with ipcef enabled. Configurations has been checked with all conbinations of Speed Auto/

100 FullDuplex/Auto with best results coming out of FD/100 but still far below satisfactory.

Seems like, at Layer 2, despite being provided 100mbps, Layer 3 transfers are unable to provide the required service.

Earthing issues/Electrical disruption in the Room where routrs are located has been looked into. Routers on both sides have been changed to rule out hardware issues.

What else can we look at?

Reply to
magnet
Loading thread data ...

How about a look at the config from when the routers were in routing mode & info on what routers they are?

Reply to
Al

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.