What do I need to build a minimal Cisco videoconferencing system?

I'm trying to figure out what I need to build a videoconferencing system, and I'm going slowly insane browsing through Cisco's web site. I already have:

Main site with a Cisco 3825 w/ Adv IP 12.4, where I expect I'll have 5

- 10 users who will regularly use a videoconferencing system

Remote site with a Cisco 2811 w/ Adv IP 12.4, where I'll have 3 - 5 users

I'll be adding 5 - 6 additional remote sites with 2811s, with 3 - 5 regular users each.

Everyone will be connected across T1s and IP.

I though I could just use MeetingPlace Express, but I've just realized that MPE is for voice and web conferencing only, and has no video component.

So I'm trying to figure out all the bits and pieces of MeetingPlace, and I just can't work out what I truly need. If I'm half-way on track, a 8106 30UL IP Bundle will get me started, but I'll also have to buy a Media Convergence Server AND a Cisco Unified Videoconferencing 3515 AND the Video Integration software. So far, that's over $100K, and I haven't gotten any goodies like Outlook integration or sufficient web conferencing licenses.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Or am I way off base, and MPE will work just fine? If anyone has experience with Cisco Videoconferencing, I sure would appreciate the advise.

Oh, and no "Why don't you buy Acme's Super Dooper Video Solution with Tint Control?" I'm looking for advice, not a sales pitch.

Reply to
ttripp
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to ask the Cisco CCIE's helping folks on the Cisco Systems NetPro Video over IP ( Video conferencing and IP/TV ) Forum:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Website:
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Thanks for the link. I shall post there posthaste!

Reply to
ttripp

I have to ask. Is there a reason for going the Cisco route? Is this a simple point to point video conference with some application collaboration, or is it point to multipoint broadcast, or maybe a full multipoint Hollywood Squares (or Brady Bunch) thing? Do you already have CallManager (a possible reason to continue with Cisco)?

There are a lot of ways to skin the video-conferencing cat. I've worked with PictureTel (I still have nightmares about Pictel Live on Windows 95), Tandberg, Polycom, Intel, and Cisco. They, and many more, all have their good points and bad points. Don't get too caught up in one company and overlook a better solution.

Now if you really want to go Cisco, start with CallManager (not CM Express) and build up from there. If $100K is shocking to you, forget Cisco and go buy a few Polycoms.

And FYI I don't sell hardware, I consult and design. So when I mention Polycom all I'm saying is there are other options. Buy whatever you want, spend your money wisely or throw it away. Satisfy your users, and CFO, or look for a new job. Its your call.

Reply to
RC

Martin Heusinger, Cisco CCIE No. 5980, provided a link to:

Cisco IP Videoconferencing Solution Reference Network Design Guide

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese Cisco Repair

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Reply to
ttripp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.