vpn client install error 1304:....verify you have access

trying to install cisco vpn client 4.8 on windows xp mce with SP2, I get half way through and I see: Error 1304 Error writing to file: C\\Windows\\system32\\vsdatant.sys, Verify that you have access to that directory.

wtf? so I tried re-setting the whole system32 folder to normal, still get the error. tried installing the vpn client via the msi file, still get the error. tried running as administrator, still get the error tried logging in as administrator (with password) and installing from there, still get the error did a search on google, haven't found a solution to this that worked for me.

any pointers?

Reply to
net
Loading thread data ...

Unfortunately i have the same problem installing VPN Client 5.0 on Vista Business, but never had such problems installing on Win XP.

Reply to
Andre Wisniewski

did you ever solve the problem? this is a weird problem, there's fa on google about this. After a bit more investigating I discovered that my XP will not allow the creation of a file called vsdatant.sys. As a test I created a text file and saved it as vsdatant.txt in the system32 folder. I then renamed the file to vsdatant.sys but in about a second the file suddenly disappeared. I don't have any security software on my pc, I've never tried any security software except the windows firewall in the control panel and I've tried both on and off with it. So something in xp is blocking the creation of this file. anyone got any ideas?

Reply to
tg

No, never found a solution. I've given up :(

Reply to
Andre Wisniewski

I've seen this file before .. I'm pretty certain it has something to do with ZoneAlarm. I'm having trouble installing VPN Client 4.8.00. I didn't think I had ZoneAlarm running as there were no icons in the System Tray, but it appears I am running it, as I can't delete VSDATANT.SYS as Windows XP says it's in use..... gonna try uninstalling ZoneAlarm and re-installing the client. I'll write back and let you know my findings.

G.

Reply to
originuk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.