VLAN Question

I have a core switch attached to a router on port 1 and it's doing

802.1q tagging and now I've been given a new switch to add to the mix. Is there a way to make all the ports on this switch part of a VLAN without having to go to each port and set "switchport access vlan xxx"? can I someone make it all part of a new VLAN from the connection between this new switch and the core switch?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
pdyne
Loading thread data ...

I'll take a stab here, although more information would be helpful. I think by default (definitely could be wrong here) but all ports are access ports in VLAN 1. If you connect this new switch to the old switch (presuming the old switch port is configured as an access port), then all of the ports on the new switch should be members of the VLAN that is on the port you are connected to. As an example, if the first switch has a switchport access vlan 100 on port f0/24, you connect this switch to that port, then all of the ports on the new switch will be in VLAN 100. As far as the new switch is concerned, all of the ports are in VLAN 1, but VLAN 1 on the new switch is connected to VLAN 100 on your core, and therefore it is really VLAN

100 from the core perspective.

If you want to use a new VLAN, then you can create a new vlan on the core, and use this as the access vlan on port f0/24 and the outcome will be the same, except all the ports will be on the new VLAN. If there is any need to have ports on the new switch be in more than one core-owned network, then you have to configure a trunk between the two and setup the access ports as you see fit.

Lastly, there are commands to configure ranges.

interface range f0/1-24 switchport mode access switchport access vlan 2

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

switchport mode access

That's pretty much what I did. I've assigned on the old switch port (24) to access mode and access vlan 333. Now I've attached a PC that has an IP that belongs to VLAN 333 on the new switch but i can't get to it (from the old or new switch). The switch mgmt happens to be on the same vlan and i'm able to telnet into the switch but i can't get to the PC. The only way i've able to ping the PC is if i set the port where it's connected to (on the new switch ) to

switchport access vlan 333 switchport mode access

am i missing something here?

Reply to
pdyne

If you set the access vlan on the new switch side to 333 also, then yes you would need to move all the ports to 333. The vlans don't have to match (I'll refrain from turning this into a best-practices discussion). Whatever vlan the port on the old switch (that goes to the new switch) is configured to access, also needs to be the same as the PCs for it to work. That is why if you left them all on VLAN 1, it should work. If you did 333 to match, then move them all to 333 or change the access vlan on that one port back to 1. I hope this makes sense.

Reply to
Trendkill

Wait a minute, I got screwed up in my language here. Whatever vlan is on the NEW Switch, is what the PC ports need to be in....AKA

Switch 1 f0/24 access vlan 333 | | access vlan 1 f0/24 Switch 2 | | f01-23 should be vlan 1.

If you put f0/24 on new switch in 333, then pc ports must be 333 also. Those ports just have to match the connection that goes to the old switch.

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.