VLAN inside a ISP MPLS network

Hi,

I have two offices/locations connected together with an MPLS network (ISP supplied). My ISP tels me that it works just like an Ethernet cable in both ends.

On one of my locations I have an working setup with two Cisco switch

2960. I have trunking between them and it works just fine. If I move one om the switches to the other location, the trunking does not work.

Does the vlan tagging work though an MPLS network? Should the setup work?

This is my port config on both sides.

interface FastEthernet0/27 description Trunk switchport trunk native vlan 9 switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-99 switchport mode trunk switchport nonegotiate

Best Regards Martin

Reply to
M
Loading thread data ...

Maybe, if they've configured it that way vs. a number of other ways. Maybe not. There's a few options either way.

Yes, if the ISP is configured to allow trunking to happen.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Martin,

We purchased an Optiman circuit a while back and were told the same thing. Once installed come to find out that trunking isn't supported. We had to configure our ports as switchport mode access. In that respect it works as an ethernet cable. You may want to test your connectivity using an access vlan first to make sure the link works.

Carlo

Reply to
da.carlo

Hi Martin,

Yes.

That depends.......;-) It really comes down to what TYPE of Ethernet "emulation" is being provided for your WAN link. If it is provided as an ACCESS WAN Link then no, the VLAN info will be stripped at source. If it is provided as a true TRUNK WAN link then yes, VLAN Tagging will be preserved.

You really need to talk to your WAN provider as this is 100% in their area of concern.

Good luck..............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.