view open ports

Hi,

How can I view listening & open ports on a cisco router (without using a scanner on a workstation of course!)? i am connected to router with serial port.

thanks

Reply to
shahin
Loading thread data ...

I don't think you have asked the right question. You have another ongoing post about attempting to get traffic -through- the router to a server, so I suspect that the question you want answered is how to find out what traffic will be permitted -through- the router. Your current question about viewing listening and open ports is a question about which ports the router *itself* will respond to for the purposes of controlling the router (e.g., telnet to the router, ssh to the router, SDM to configure the router, possibly an NTP server listening.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

# show tcp br all

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your reply,

I will try the command, and will let you know. I hoop there was more people like you, to give the right ansrew not bol***Sh** around. (excuse my franch).

Thanks again.

Reply to
shahin

excuse _my_ french but walter is a very competent member of this group, so I suggest you read his advice twice before you call it bs.

M
Reply to
mak

suggest you read his advice twice before

I think u and walter both should read the mails that have ansrew for it and you should read his last post. you know what for get it!

Doug,

Thanks your command did work I know exactlly which port and socket is open.

Reply to
shahin

Shahin,

The great majority of questions that are posted here are not precise enough to determine what the user is -really- observing, or to determine what the user -really- wants to do. What the user -really- wants to do is often different than what the user -asks- to do.

When the people who *volunteer* their time to answer questions encounter an ambiguous question, or a situation that strongly suggests to them that the user is taking the wrong approach, they have several options on how to proceed:

1) answer the question that was actually posted and only that question. The most common answer would likely be, "You can't do that.", because people often make mistakes in their postings; 2) point out some ambiguities in the question or situation and ask the poster to clarify what they want; 3) list several meanings that the poster -might- have intended, and provide answers for each of the -possible- meanings; this can take literally hours to write up, whereas just asking the poster to clarify might take only a few minutes; 4) Use intuition, experience, and creative mind-reading to decide what the poster -really- needs, and answer that; 5) decide that it isn't worth the time of the answerer to try to go back and forth with the poster to figure out what the real situation is, and so simply not answer at all.

I have been around enough and have answered enough technical questions (20,000 or so), that I have developed a relatively good sense of when posted questions are not the right ones for the situation. I find, though, that I no longer have time to answer all the -possible- meanings, so more and more I am pointing out different possible meanings and asking for clarification.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.