Very small business router

Can someone recommend a small router that can support at least three L3 VLAN's and a single WAN port? We are looking at an inexpensive router that we may be able to add to our product.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Tom
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps a 1700 series router? You can find them on ebay for cheap (less than $75).

- Blob

Reply to
Blob

Thanks Blob:)

Reply to
Tom

It depends on what you want to do with the router. When you want more than a few megabit/s performance I would not recommend a 1700...

An 87x or 88x, although a lower model line, will outperform those old boxes. I don't know US pricing but I expect them to be about $500.

Reply to
Rob

TOM,

I have found the 871 and 871W to be quite ideal and a good bang for your buck. Have to agree, you need to know what you want out of the device. There are even elchepo Linksys that has the RV082 with VLAN allocation... So look at your requirements and look at budget... 1700 might be too much

At the end of the day only you know what you want...

Regards,

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent

Thanks Vincent!

Reply to
Tom

So true...

Reply to
Blob

Note that the 871/871W , while it states supports 5 VLANs, in practice you can only use 1 because there are 4 hardcoded VLANs you can't remove.

There is supposed to be some additional software you can get to enable more vlans. but I haven't been able to put my hands on it.

Reply to
JF Mezei

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.