Using Aironet 1142n with Cisco 1801 Router

Hi Group,

I have a Cisco 1801 router the I use for wired connections on my local network. I would like to install a Aironet device so I have have wireless connections.

I am particularly interested in the Cisco 1142n Aironet on Cisco's web site (AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9).

Apart from N support the PoE suits where I would like to install the access point. I know I would need the AIR-PWRINJ4= for the PoE injector.

Is it possible to setup the Aironet 1142n to work directly with a Cisco 1801 router / switch or do I need additional equipment?

Thanks

Stuart

Reply to
stuie_norris
Loading thread data ...

stuie snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au schrieb:

For an AIR-LAPxxx you will need a Wireless LAN Controller, or get the AIR-APxxxx configured as autonomous IOS.

Reply to
Uli Link

How do you configure the AP as autonomous IOS?

Do you need a Wireless LAN Controller to do this?

Must the device be purchased in the autonomous IOS format?

Reply to
stuie_norris

You obtain the autonomous IOS image from Cisco CCO if you have a maintenance contract, or go for google foo to find it. Then you flash the box with the new code.

You'll have to get to an undocumented boot menu that has been mentioned in this group several times.

No, if you had a wireless LAN controller, you'd probably use the LAP image you had.

That would certainly be the easier way if thats the way you wanted to run it.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

~ > or get the AIR-APxxxx configured as autonomous IOS. ~ ~ How do you configure the AP as autonomous IOS? ~ ~ Do you need a Wireless LAN Controller to do this? ~ ~ Must the device be purchased in the autonomous IOS format?

The AIR-AP model of the AP1142 (i.e. the model with autonomous IOS preinstalled) isn't orderable yet, but should be pretty soon (stay tuned.)

You could buy the AIR-LAP model (i.e. the one with lightweight IOS preinstalled) now, then install autonomous IOS on it when the code is released. You wouldn't be able to do anything with it till then (unless you have a WLC), but I suppose it might "get you on the air" faster than if you had to wait till the AIR-AP model is orderable.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Hi Aaron,

Do you know the timeframe for the autonomous IOS to be available? I have read on CISCOs web site that the hardware is identical between both variants.

I have been searching in Oz for AIR-AP model but not one sells so since it has not been released - so that explains it.

There is a online disposal centre dumping AIR-LAP variant currently at cheap prices so buy and up/down grade later might be an attractive option.

Thanks

Stuart

Reply to
stuie_norris

~ Hi Aaron, ~ ~ Do you know the timeframe for the autonomous IOS to be available?

"Soon".

~ I ~ have read on CISCOs web site that the hardware is identical between ~ both variants.

Tis so.

~ I have been searching in Oz for AIR-AP model but not one sells so ~ since it has not been released - so that explains it.

Yep, the AIR-AP model will not be orderable till the autonomous IOS code is available (actually, it might be orderable a wee bit before the code is posted.)

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.