Using a Gigabit copper to Gigabit fiber media converter for an IDF

We have a catalyst 4507R at the core of our network and a new IDF is being built. There will be a new MM fiber drop terminating at the core and I don't think there are any spare SFP slots available. There are 2 spare GBIC ports on our redundant supervisor card but from what I have read only the GBICS on the active card will work and those are already taken. There is 1 linecard slot left on the 4507, but I want to be prepared with options in case my boss tells me there is not enough money to purchase a line card. So, is it possible and recommended to connect a media converter that would convert a free copper gig-e port to fiber as a short term solution?

Thanks

Reply to
rjmnyc
Loading thread data ...

This is not the case.

Supervisor 4 With two SE in the chassis you can still only use a total of two uplink ports and they are port one on each SE. i.e. Gi 1/1 and Gi 2/1.

Supervisor 5 With two SE in the chassis you can use all 4 uplink ports.

SO:-

If you have both ports active on one SE you must have a Sup 5 and you can use all 4.

I suggest that you check for yourself before spending money.

Reply to
anybody43

You are correct. What I meant to say was that there are two uplinks, 1 on each supIV that do not work.

I would like to know if I could use a media converter to convert a spare copper port to fiber so I can connect to the new IDF.

Thanks.

Reply to
rjmnyc

Yes.

They seem more reliable than they look, which is a good thing.

Reply to
anybody43

try blackbox catalouge - has all sorts of bits like that

Reply to
jay

I use transistion media converters without any issues.

However, they can get expensive themselves, ususally depending on equipment, somethimes cheaper to addd fiber ports to equipment in question. Of course line cards can indeed be more.

Reply to
MC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.