ubr924 good for ccna study?

i have in my possession a cisco ubr924 cable modem router and am wondering if it is good enough to study for ccna? I do not actually have cable at my home, I use DSL but Ill just take off the default bridging and set it to act like a regular router. buying more hardware is expensive so is there something other routers have that this one does not that would be relevant to CCNA?

Reply to
WOP
Loading thread data ...

anyone? i dont think its that hard of a question...

Reply to
WOP

Most people out there, and especially those just studying for CCNA, do not have experience with the ubr series - so, it is not quite as easy as it sounds. Checking the specs on the Cisco site would probably be a good place to start. Personally, I've had them as an end user, but haven't done any configuring. If these run standard IOS and have sufficient ports, I don't see why not. The ones I've seen have an ethernet routed port and a built in

4 port switch. My guess is that you can just not enable the docsis capabilities and use it as a standard ethernet router. You can do much of the CCNA stuff with the lower end (800 series) routers. I would suspect that the ubr has everything that those routers do.

Also, take a look at dynamips/dynagen. That is good router practice without purchasing more hardware.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Reply to
Scooby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.