Turn a Cisco Router into a DNS server

Does anybody know how to make a Cisco Router act as a DNS server? Let me clarify that I'm not talking about relaying/forwarding DNS requests, from the router to another system that resolves DNS. I want the router to listen on port 53 for DNS queries; once the query is received the router should look to its own host table (Both perm and cached entries) and then return a name resolution (IP address) to the querying host.

Reply to
jsh3323
Loading thread data ...

I don't think that you can do this. Why would you want to?

Chris.

Reply to
chris

The only Cisco router-like device I know of that can do this is Distributed Director. But it's pretty limited in the types of queries it can handle.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

~ Does anybody know how to make a Cisco Router act as a DNS server?

Why, with the "ip dns server" command, naturally.

~ Let ~ me clarify that I'm not talking about relaying/forwarding DNS requests, ~ from the router to another system that resolves DNS. I want the router ~ to listen on port 53 for DNS queries; once the query is received the ~ router should look to its own host table (Both perm and cached entries) ~ and then return a name resolution (IP address) to the querying host.

c3640(config)#ip dns server c3640(config)#ip host foo.bar ? Default telnet port number A.B.C.D Host IP address additional Append addresses mx Configure a MX record ns Configure an NS record srv Configure a SRV record c3640(config)#ip host foo.bar 10.3.4.5

c3640#sho ip int brief | i Eth FastEthernet0/0 10.95.42.135 YES DHCP up up

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.