trouble changing enable password

I have a cisco 1601 router that I want to change the enable password on. I know the current enable password. When I go into config t mode I type in "enable password ". I exit with ctrl z and write mem. When I logout and log back in I have to still use the old password, the new one will not work. I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. The only other thing is that I have the service password-encryption turned on, could this be causing the problem and if so what do I need to do to fix it. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks Glenn

Reply to
gselser
Loading thread data ...

Is there also an "enable secret" command in the config?

If so try:-

conf t no enable password enable secret

James

Reply to
James

I think the enable secret should be preferred because its not easily decodable.

but forms have a number before the actual password (IIRC)

enable secret 0

or

enable password 0

Rainer

Reply to
Rainer Temme

Yes I think there is a enable secret password. What is the difference between the enable and secret password or are they the same? Also is it okay to keep the service password-encryption on? Glenn

Reply to
gselser

"enable secret" stores the password in a way that can not be decrypted. It wins over "enable password" as method that allows access to privilege mode. So you were changing something that wasn't used when authoriziting you to the privilege mode.

Yes of course, even if the encryption algorithm is very weak. Can be decrypted in few milliseconds.

HTH

Alex.

Reply to
AM

enable password is stored either in clear or in a reversible "encryption"[1] noted by a prefix of 7[2] if "service password-encryption" is set. enable secret is stored as an MD5 hash (prefix 5), which you might be able to reverse but it will take you some effort.

If there's an enable secret the router will use it, if not it will fall back to enable password. There used to be situations where you needed both but I don't suppose there are many cases now.

Sam

[1] At one point Cisco used to refer to it as "obscured" rather than "encrypted" - there are several trivial password decryptors around. [2] A correspondent on a Cisco mailing list once asked why his password didn't work - it turned out it began with the name of a well known soft drink and even though password encryption wasn't set when the router read the config it saw the initial "7 up" and tried to decrypt the rest of the plain text password.
Reply to
Sam Wilson

Reply to
gselser

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.