Top 10 Tips for Cisco Routers Configuration

Hi all, Please give me your opinion in my "Top 10 Tips for Cisco Routers Configuration":

formatting link
Thank you in advance.

Mohammed

Reply to
Mohammed Alani
Loading thread data ...

a lot f this depends on the assumptions such as the environment.

what happens at work for CE routers is they get a minimal config on site, then a remote system downloads a set of config from the central NOC then tests, then the install engineer does some local tests.

in theory even that is more manual setup than is needed - you can have the router find an address, find a server and download config all on its own - but then we need an engineer there anyway to cable it up....

how about -

dont start until you have a design, and IP addresses etc to allow the install to be completed (sounds silly, but happens)

and you forgot about checking the hardware is installed, the correct type of box, consistent with the design, with the right modules in the right slots, running the right feature set and release.......

and all that before you start the config.

config should use boilerplate to reduce keystrokes, need to be on site and risk of misconfig

ie config is "by exception" for stuff that is not standardised in your environment.

Reply to
stephen

Thank you for stopping by Stephen. What you have mentioned is true to some extent. Many networks in life employ a small number of routers. And usually, according to the budjet, each router is used to accomplish a defined task different from other routers. There are many cases in which doing what you have said is a great solution. But this is not the situation always.

Thank you again.

Reply to
Mohammed Alani

yes - i think i was a bit heavy handed, but what i was trying to say is thatyour rules, like many others are based on use in a specific environment - and if you change the background then the rules may not apply.

agreed. and i have built a lot of networks like that - i used to work for a reseller...

True - and i am working on a WAN now where the only routers are there for the control traffic - the actual WAN just uses GigE pipes between sites and a few Cat 6509s.

and we have tuned those configs in a similar fashion to your rules.

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.