Time to sell Cisco stock?

I have a network of about 95% all Cisco equipment. It's not a large network, but we do have numerious switches, routers, PIX, etc. The largest model we have is a 6509. We have around 100 various devices from Cisco.

We are replacing a portion of our network due to age. I realize $200,000 US may not be a lot to a company like Cisco, but why would they refuse to get us a quote? Our first VAR has taken almost 2 months and still will not get me a quote. We have tried 2 other VARs, one being CDW. No quote. The last I heard, all the Cisco reps were at a conference in Vegas.

Seems to me it's time to dump my Cisco stock and look elsewhere. Anyone else having these problems with Cisco? (We are a half a billion

• /year company that is doing well and have good credit.)
Reply to
edavid3001
Loading thread data ...

Not the experience in the UK. It is easy to get a queue of vendors here.

Reply to
Bod43

Yes - dump your Cisco stock and the gear and get something else.

Reply to
AMR

I have worked with CDW on various Cisco equipment for my company and had a quote the same day. I also had constant contact with the rep I worked with so I have had no problems. (and I was spending less than $200,000)

AMR wrote:

Reply to
K.J. 44

if you are in Canada, I know someone more than happy to help you. try sent your contact info (phone timezone to g g u n n a t Ho tm ail d ot c o m better yet include what equipment, service and quantity you need and when.

Reply to
g

I work for a Cisco VAR and we don't take that long to turn around a quote. Sometimes it takes a while to negotiate down to the rock-bottom deviation from Cisco for a large order but your sales person should still be communicating status updates to you. There are always other VARs.

J
Reply to
J

You may wish to contact your local Cisco Pre-Sales Office:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

CDW never got us a quote. One of the other VAR's finally did. But it took almost 2 months for them to get it to us. That seems very odd to me. I wasn't asking for rock bottom prices. Just the first quote.

Reply to
edavid3001

Clearly, you need to get yourself some new VARs.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

The money program that guy Cramer does was extolling Cisco stock the other night, telling us we should definately be buying it right now due to Cisco's latest moves in the cable TV market.

Reply to
genki

Here is what I found out. I have a CISCO rep that controls all sales leads no matter who my VAR is. All my VARs go through the same guy at Cisco for sales to my company. So all the VARs were being held up by this one guy.

I am assuming the reason CDW is ignoring me (odd for them to do) is because this Cisco guy was aware I was getting the exact same quote from another VAR.

I see Cisco stock has climbed (recovered) a few $ since I posted this. It did well for me years ago, but it's been pretty flat here lately. The products are solid. Reliable. But for what you pay, you don't get much. I guess it's like Toyota vs. Chevy/Ford; You pay more up front for Toyota and get less flash, but they last forever.

I do have stock in Cisco and I guess I'll hold on to it longer. Nortel's deal with Microsoft, their focus on VoIP, and lower pricing with more features makes them worth watching. They are ~7th in the core switching market with less than 10% of the market. There is a lot of room for Cisco to loose market share if Nortel plays their cards well. Nortel's not done well historically. Maybe it's time for a comeback? (Longterm planning here; years)

formatting link
?s=NT

Reply to
edavid3001

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: [snip]

I'm not sure how Nortel will do in the future. I believe they were forced to make a deal with MS just to have an advantage (marketing wise) to Cisco. MS is more afraid of Cisco so they partnered with Cisco's competitor. The problem with Enterprise market is that they (we!) are very demanding about little stuff.

Stuff that makes no sense to small companies is a huge deal for enterprises. Juniper for example has tried playing it safe in the Enterprise market. Sort of the "if I build it, they will buy it!" model. But that didn't pan out. Now they have to put up. We'll see how it all pans out.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.