the network-command

I'm currently a bit curious about the function of the network-command.

Following situation: 3 routers linked in a line with a host-net connected to each. Now we try enabling RIP:

on some routers a 'network router2hostNet' does it, the router sends updates about the hostnet to its neighbours.

on other routers that command leads to the following: updates are only sent on the host-net interface. I need to add an 'network router2routerNet' to gain updates to the next router.

What I don't understand is, what is responsible for that differences? The routers have nothing else configured than RIP. The only idea I have would be different IOS-versions, but there are only minor-version differences.

thomas

Reply to
Thomas Pani
Loading thread data ...

The "network" statement under the router subcommand is the means to identify which interfaces should run that routing protocol.

If all interfaces are in the same majore network (assuming classful) then only one network statement is neeed. If the inetrfaces are in different major networks, multiple network commands will be needed.

Why the command "network all" is not allowed is beyond me.

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.