Test SFP on Catalyst 3560

Today I ran into a situation where a gigabit ethernet link went down in a remote site. on one end of the connection was a Catalyst 3560 w/ a GLC-SX-MM= SFP module connecting on the other end to a Catalst 2950 w/ a GBIC of some type.

The gig interface on both ends was showing down/down. I eventually had to replace the GLC-SX-MM= SFP with a new one and the connection came up immediatley. My question is, is there a way to test/diagnose the SFP modules from the CLI to determine if it is functioning properly or not, rather than having to make a 200 mile round trip drive to analyze this onsite?

Reply to
MattG
Loading thread data ...

In short, no. If you have someone there, and hopefully you have some spare ports in the switch, you can move to different ports, or leave a spare GBIC in a second slot for trial/error, but there is no official way to test GBICs or SFPs in IOS/Catalyst software.

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.