Telnet to LAT rotary?

Good morning/afternoon/evening. . .

Two brief questions, which I'm hoping someone will be able to answer for me. . .

Warning: Depending on the answers, I may eventually have additional questions. ;-)

Here is what I want to accomplish -

I have a machine attached to my home network that speaks LAT. (Yes, I said LAT.)

I am told that some of the older Cisco routers (2500 series?) will perform protocol translation.

I want to obtain a router that will allow user(s) to TELNET into a fixed IP address, using port 23, and automatically connect them to a ROTARY of 8 or 16 LAT sessions.

(Basically, I am trying to eliminate an existing terminal server and serial lines.)

1.) Is there an (older) Cisco router that can perform that task, without user intervention?

2.) Would the afore-mentioned router be OK with handling the traffic INTO, and OUT OF the SAME ethernet/AUI port, or do I need to get a router with TWO ethernet ports?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Tim TiggerLASV "at" A-O-L-D-O-T-C-O-M

Reply to
Tim Thompson
Loading thread data ...

I have a couple of suggestions, Tim.

Have you considered solving the Telnet-LAT bridge problem with software only? Perhaps such software exists (?).

Instead of Cisco, a TCP/IP bastion, I would look into the LAT shops. Lantronix has some inexpensive terminal servers that speak TCP/IP and LAT.

formatting link

-Ramon

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera

Howdy !

Thanks for the quick reply. . .

The software that I'm running does not have a TCP stack, so I'm stuck with LAT only. There was talk YEARS ago about adding TCP support, but it has never happened, and I am currently not skilled enough to even think about attempting to roll my own.

I don't want to add another PC or a Unix box to do the translation, I want a stand-alone piece of hardware to accomplish the Telnet/LAT conversion.

I already have a terminal server that speaks LAT, and TCP/IP. Yes, I could plug one serial port (speaking TELNET) into a serial port speaking LAT, but this is sloppy. Not to mention that I'm trying to overcome the RS232 speed limitation.

I've already been told that there is "some version" (probably in the 2500 series) that you can TELNET into, and connect to a LAT session, however the exact model number is uncertain.

If it IS one of the 2500's, then I'd need to know if it would ALLOW me to point my INCOMING TELNET sessions as well as OUTGOING LAT sessions to the AUI (LAN) port.

Thanks again. . .

Tim

Reply to
Tim Thompson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.