Systems can be 1-3 kms apart; 1 or multiple LANs?

We need to keep the server(server-1) and the clients which connect to this server, within the campus distance(1-3 km). We have other servers also, as part of the network.

I would like to know whether it is a good idea to keep the server-1 and its clients as part of the same LAN, or different LANs(and they communicate via the router). What are the factors that I should consider to decide this. For the time being, please ignore the VLAN configuration for it.

Reply to
qazmlp1209
Loading thread data ...

Hello,

With such small distances, the distance as such is not relevant as to whether to choose once VLAN design over another.

What is relevant is the relative location of the clients and servers with respect to the communications channels available and the bandwidth of those channels relative to the expected traffic levels.

Cisco now has some excellent documents on its web site. Look for "System Reference Network Design" (SRND) for "Campus" networks.

formatting link
These days the move is towards more and more layer 3 and less and less layer 2. L3 switches can run at wire rate on all ports so there are no longer the performance limitations of routers to consider in many cases. The industry has moved to having servers centralised (in the network topology and physically too) and clients distributed as required with client VLANS being chosen based on location. (Wireless can be different).

That's all for now, good luck.

Reply to
Bod43

Btw, I would like to know what exactly/roughly can be the maximum distance for a Campus network. I understand that as we use L3 switches for the systems in the 2 LANs to communicate, the distance can be more. But, still I feel there must be a standard/typical definition for the Campus network and it must mention about the distance.

Reply to
qazmlp1209

Why?

One thing is that the performance of file systems, database servers etc. diminishes with network round trip time but other than for special purposes this is not an issue over

10s or 100s of km. It is an issue over 1000s of km. Research "Bandwidth delay product" if you are interested.

With the distances you mention there are no issues at all for almost all purposes in most parts of the world (i.e. where such networking is cheap).

Reply to
Bod43

For example - the largest corporation or university with buildings spread accross the extremities of a large city could use a "Campus Network Architecture" for its entire network.

It stops being a Campus network when either RTT becomes large, or when bandwidth is restricted due to the high cost of communications links.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.