Switch/Switch problem fibre gigbit ethernet

I would like to connect an old batm switch to a new cisco catalyst switch with fibre gigabit ethernet but a conenction can not be esablished. I checked the fibre ports on both sides with a pc. They are on both sides (batm + cisco) ok. I figured out that therefore the following configuration setting on the pc ethernet nic is required: FIRST CONFIG: A pc #1 and a pc #2 are connected directly to the gigabit ethernet ports of the cisco catalyst switch. A ping between these divices is possible. SECOND CONFIG: If i now connect pc #1 directly on the gigabit ethernet port of the old batm switch i have to do 2 thinks before the pc is running. First i have to switch the fibre cables TX to RX and the RX to TX and than i must change the gigabit ethernet nic option "Autonegotiation Port A" from the value "On" into "Off". Now the pc is running with a gigabit ethernet connection over the old batm switch. QUESTION: Is there such a configuration option "Autonegotiation Port A - On/Off" on the catalyst too? I alreday checked out the "udld"-commands, but without any positiv result.

*Thanks*
Reply to
hartmut.albers
Loading thread data ...

On 06.09.2005 18:33 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Try either (IOS)

ios#configure terminal Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z. ios(config)#interface gigabitEthernet 0/1 ios(config-if)#switchport nonegotiate

or (CatOS)

catos> (enable) set port negotiation 1/1 disable

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

In article , wrote: :I would like to connect an old batm switch to a new cisco catalyst :switch with fibre gigabit ethernet but a conenction can not be :esablished. I checked the fibre ports on both sides with a pc. They are :on both sides (batm + cisco) ok. I figured out that therefore the :following configuration setting on the pc ethernet nic is required:

:SECOND CONFIG: :If i now connect pc #1 directly on the gigabit ethernet port of the old :batm switch i have to do 2 thinks before the pc is running. First i :have to switch the fibre cables TX to RX and the RX to TX and than i :must change the gigabit ethernet nic option "Autonegotiation Port A" :from the value "On" into "Off". Now the pc is running with a gigabit :ethernet connection over the old batm switch. :QUESTION: :Is there such a configuration option "Autonegotiation Port A - On/Off" :on the catalyst too?

Not for gigabit. Autonegotiation (and automatic detection of transmit vs receive) is -mandatory- for gigabit. You cannot turn them off, as one of the things that is negotiated is which of the two devices is controlling the data clock synchronization information.

If your batm switch will not operate with gigabit autonegotiation, then your batm switch is not using the gigabit standards.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.