switch newbie - rspan over wan possible?

I can't get this to work and now wonder if it's even possible. If possible how do I config intermediate 2621 router to handle rspan traffic. I have RSPAN working on LAN. Thanks for any hints, etc.

Reply to
jlmjlist
Loading thread data ...

I don't think this is possible. The way a RSPAN works (from my old experience), is that a switch will copy each frame/packet into a special RSPAN VLAN. Then any node in any switch on that vlan, can 'sniff' the traffic. Of course we have to then understand that the RSPAN vlan would need to available in all switches (i.e. trunked). Unless you are doing l2 over the WAN, I don't see how this would work. Not to mention the major concerns I have about copying all LAN traffic to a particular node of VLAN over a limited bandwidth WAN. Not to say you don't know what you are doing (I'm sure you are aware of your network limitations), but I would be very careful in this circumstance.

Reply to
Trendkill

I think you are looking for Encapsulated Remote Span (ERSPAN). ERSPAN will work over a routed network, but not sure your gear will support you. Here are a few links:

formatting link
formatting link
' These are for a 6500 series, so you'll need to check your switch code and your WAN. Very possible, but if I had to guess on a 2621, you are probably out of luck.

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.