Switch between dialer interfaces/configs in a router ?

I have an 871W router with a separate ADSL modem.

It has a FA 1 as a trunk to the LAN (which operates in vlan 10) VLAN 10 declaring itself as part of bridge-group 10 BVI 10 with the IP address of the router "Dialer 1" interface with dialer pool 1 FA 4 interface with dial pool number 1

The dialer 1 interface has the PPPoE credentials.

My ISP is deploying MLPPP (in test/beta mode with bugs). I would be using a single link MLPPP. (this bypasses the telco's throttling equipment since the IP packet is offset by a couple of bytes)

Is it possible to have a "test" dialer interface with different credentials and the ppp multilink commands to get MLPPP, and quickly/easily switch from the "production" PPPoE dialer to the test MLPPP Dialer configs ?

There are routing and IP NAT entries which specify "Dialer 1", so creating Dialer 2 with the new config might work to establish the link, but wouldn't work for NAT/routing.

Is the only way to write some script that will "manually" modify the dialer 1 interface from one config to the next ?

Is there a command that will completely zap "Dialer 1" so I can re-enter a config without fear of leftovers from the previous one, or must I negate every command that setup the previous config before entering the new config ?

Reply to
JF Mezei
Loading thread data ...

no int di 1

Poof!, she is gone.

conf t ! first obvoiusly.

Reply to
bod43

Thanks !

Will the "no int fa 4" also work for a "real" ethernet interface ? (reset the interface to default config). or does the No Interface work only for virtual ones ?

Reply to
JF Mezei

I think that does not really work. When you create it again, some old config may come back. Can be avoided by saving the config and reloading the router first.

Reply to
Rob

Greetings,

You cannot remove a REAL interface (unless it is a piece of H/W that can be removed), only a VIRTUAL interface, However you CAN set an interface back to its default values with - default int fa4

Cheers...............pk.

Reply to
Peter

I have not noticed that, but then I have rarely removed a dialer, probably only because I preferred 0 over 1, or is it the other way round?

I do recall reading about weird magically restoring confg somewhere but I can't recall any details - at all.

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.