Stay with IPv4 internally

Since we use a firewall that uses NAT between our network and the router to our ISP is it possible that we could have the router use IPv4 on the inside interface and IPv6 on the outside?

We have roughly 300 machines inside the network which would be a challenge to set to IPv6.

Reply to
eaglesix
Loading thread data ...

That's called "NAT-PT" and it is a horrible bad idea. IPv6 and IPv4 are completly different worlds like railways and streets.

NAT-PT is a motorrail/auto train from the ipv6 perspective. From the IPv4 perspective NAT-PT is so ugly, that we do not have a real world example for. Besides it's feels like an "office boy": You ask always the same person to do the work for you ;-)

You lost about five to ten years, so hurry up!

Reply to
Lutz Donnerhacke

NAT-PT has been deprecated and other mechanisms (NAT64/DNS64) are preferred. To me NAT64 is just as horrible but probably works better, for some value of "better".

I've been watching IPv6 for 15 years now and it's still not ready. The bickering between RA vs DHCPv6 or PI vs PA addressing is inexcusable at this stage.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

I thought that this would have been a done deal but it looks like it is not.

formatting link
interesting looking links at the bottom.

"NAT64 is an mechanism to allow IPv6 host to communicate with IPv4 servers

DNS64 Combined with NAT64, this allows hosts connected only via IPv6 to access other hosts only connected by IPv4."

So these "solve" the *opposite* problem to the one posed by the Original Poster.

i.e. IPV6 internally and IPV4 on the internet.

Oh dear. If there is NO effective IPV6 externally and IPV4 internally scheme there is going to be a LOT of work for network guys for years to come.

I've not read this yet but the title sounds promising. IPv6 Transition Tutorial by Cisco Systems

formatting link

Reply to
bod43

Application-level proxies should not have too much trouble with it. E.g. access the WWW via a proxy between your IPv4 company network and the IPv6 internet.

Reply to
Rob

Recently, an article in the world threatens us that IPv4 runs out..we have to go to IPv6 era.....

So, IPv6 discussion seems to blossom now..this seems the business side more than technical side...

Bosses have to think about the IPv6 right now....since they are now worrying about this....IPv6 and IPv4 compatibility..

IPv6 NAT-PT is the workaround technique between IPv6 world & IPv4 world no matter it is good or not-so-good technique.

Reply to
bensonlei

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.