Software-guide-book for IOS 12.0(5)XP and the Catalyst 2900XL?

Hi,

did anyone know a location or link to get a complete Software Configuration Guide (as one big PDF) for Ciscos IOS 12.0(5)XP on the Catalyst 2900XL Series Switch? Exactly it is an WS-C2924M-XL-EN and an WS-C2924-XL-EN

This is the only IOS that i have on this Switch and it seems to me this is the latest Version. But i can't figure out if this is really correct

I've only found a PDF for IOS 12.0(5)WC4 or WC5 but not for this XP-Version. And i don't know what this XP Version has as a special Meaning. I found it not in the mainline-archive on cisco.com nor in an other section.

Thanks.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Martinen
Loading thread data ...

There's a release note on Cisco.com for 12.0(5)XP. It looks like it was a special first test release of 12.0 for the 2924XL/3524XL line after the 11.2 series of code that had been in use prior.

Any X train in IOS revs is usually 'eXperimental', and this was meant as one release, no further revisions until the normal train went into production.

I would say there is no such document that you are looking for. Its unlikely Cisco would have done up documentation for one special test release. Even the majority of their docs (excluding the Catalyst line) don't specialize so much on one specific rev, pushing out rev specific things to the release notes.

Anyway, you'd probably be unable to tell what extremely minor differences might be between 12.0(5)XP and 12.0(5)WC. I'd guest that

99.99% of the code base is the exactly the same, and anything you find that is different is most likely a bug or something that got added at a later time by some feature rev. Likely 99% of what you'll do on the box is exactly the same.

I wouldn't obsess over it, there's really not much difference between the 12.0 code revs for the 2924xl/3524xl's.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

As has been mentioned, you're unlikely to find a comprehensive manual. If you rely on the Web UI, however, I believe that the 12.0(5.1)XP release was the last one to work properly with either Microsoft's JVM or Sun's. Later releases seem to have much more exacting requirements for the JVM version and vendor. Newer Cisco hardware (at least in the switch dept.) seems to provide much less functionality via Web UI, and relies much more on the IOS command line (assuming you're not using a network management application of some sort, which largely makes the issue moot).

Regards, Mike

-- | Manager for Networking, Admin. Michael T. Davis (Mike) | & Research Computing: CBE/MSE

formatting link
| The Ohio State University | 197 Watts, (614) 292-6928 ** E-mail is the best way to contact me **

Reply to
Michael T. Davis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.