snmp - determine hsrp

Hi,

Anyone know what OID should be used to determine if an interface IP address is a HSRP address? In the case that the ifType OID is the one to use, which ifType number would indicate HSRP?

Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
QoS
Loading thread data ...

The ifType does not contain this information since the hsrp address does not get a seperate interface in this table.

I am sure that there will be a private cisco mib for hsrp however I have noticed that the .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.ip.ipNetToMediaTable. ipNetToMediaEntry.ipNetToMediaPhysAddress

entry will allow the identification of the hsrp address in most cases.

The HSRP mac address is usually 00 00 0c 07 ac xx where xx is the hsrp group number. This is the cisco default for ethernet interfaces however it can as I recall be changed and so will not be foolproof.

You would then need to use .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.ip.ipNetToMediaTable. ipNetToMediaEntry.ipNetToMediaIfIndex

to get the ifIndex

and then .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces. ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr

to figure out exactly the interface refered to.

Probably easier to do sh stand br and process that.

Reply to
bod43

Appreciate the reply; this is very helpful. I've located several mibs which should do the work.

To add to the information about MAC addresses, the following points are derived from the Cisco HSRP mib: ==== cHsrpGrpVirtualMacAddr

MAC address will be in the range 00:00:0c:07:ac:00 through 00:00:0c:07:ac:ff For TokenRing interfaces The following three MAC addresses are permitted (functional addresses): C0:00:00:01:00:00 C0:00:00:02:00:00 C0:00:00:04:00:00 ====

Thank you,

Jason

Reply to
QoS

Oh NO! Not token ringy thingies.

Or maybe it's Full Duplex Token-less Ring-less Token Ring.

Sorry, an old joke : but exactly true. Full duplex TR had (or of course has - if you have one) no tokens and no ring!

I wonder why IBM are no longer in the network hardware business?

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.