site to site VPN problems

I have a problem with a site-to-site VPN that I would like some help with as I am all out of ideas.

This is the situation. I work in a hospital and currently use PIX

501's to create a link over a network to give clinics access to our main site which has a PIX 515.

I have set lots of these up and everything works fine, apart from running Microsoft Exchange clients. When outlook is opened, a lot of the time it just hangs and does nothing, and when outlook does this, the PC likes to hang too. I know there is an issue with fixup protocol smtp and outlook, but is a fixup protocol used in a site-to-site VPN? Sometimes the connection to the server is fine, but this isn't good enough. I can ping the server fine, by IP and name without any problems.

I have tried everything I know to resolve this issue but it is still there. Without submitting any configs, does anyone have any idea why this is going on?

Any help would be most appreciated as I am now at the end of my tether with this.

Cheers

Reply to
j
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

As i know, the fixup is used even, when there is a lan to lan. Try to disable the fixup both on the branch and main sites, werify that the xlate (if any) are cleared, and try again.

Regards, Marc.

Reply to
Haitingus

Firstly, thanls for your answer.

Secondly, I have done a lot more research, and I have put this problem down to the MTU size. Because IPSEC adds another few bytes on, the packets are getting fragmented; So I need to lower my MTU. Would this be done on the inside or outside interface? Also, would windows

2000/xp automatically know about this change and adjust accordingly?

I'm pretty confident now that this is the answer, just understanding now where to implement the change is my goal

Thanks

Reply to
j

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.