Signs of flashmemory about to fail

dear Sirs

Due to rural location it is required to take router and other networkcomponents off mains and telco during thunderstorms.

When Power-On my 2621 goes into ROM monitor about 3 out of 5 times. By issuing "i" the router reinitializes and boots from flash.

Would this be sign of flashmemory just about to fail?

Me thinks so.

best regards

Christer Bergstrom Viker Sweden

Reply to
Christer Bergstrom
Loading thread data ...

No idea about symptoms of flash failure.

Worth a try to re-seat whatever socketed chips there are and maybe all connections on the board.

What is the configuration register and boot parameters.

sh ver sh boot ! IIRC sh run | inc boot sh flash

I don't know that much about it however, if you did suspect the flash it might be work erasing it and reloading it, however if it turns out that the flash is actually worn out then this process may of course finish it off.

Reply to
Bod43

Sounds like a bad router. Flash memory is either "good" or "bad". I would suspect that the flash controller is flaky, not the actually flash memory.

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

Hi Christer,

Look for a Valid Image in Flash:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.