Signal strength from Cisco 350 Bridge from perl script?

What I would like to do is create a Perl script to periodically perform a link test on a Cisco 350 bridge and record the current signal strength. I'm doing this as part of a site survey.

Has anyone done this?

Currently, I'm experimenting with the 350's telnet interface, but it looks to be a bit messy to get it to work.

Any help/pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
tomviolin
Loading thread data ...

"tomviolin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

You might want to try comp.programming there are perl people there who might be able to help.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Yes, but with a Aironet 340, not a 350. Signal strength and other data is available via SNMP. The periodic data logging and graphing is done with either MRTG or RRDTOOL. See: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
rate is every 5 minutes. Usually one uses MRTG and RRDTool to graph network traffic. Anything available via SNMP (as an integer) can be graphed. Signal strength and S/N ratio is in there somewhere. You'll need the various MIB databases for the 350 to determine the proper OID's. They're on the Cisco web pile at: | ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/c350/c350-non-ios-supportlist.html

I'm not sure what you mean by "link test" and how you plan to record the data. If link test is a simple ping test to see if the link is alive, then something like Big Brother, WhatsUP, Nagios, PingProbe or other management tool that's designed to check if network servers are up should work as well for wireless.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You might try

formatting link
or

formatting link
or

formatting link

John

Reply to
John Mason Jr

Tom,

I haven't worked with the Aironet devices yet (we will be getting in some

1100 series in a few months) but I assume that they use IOS like most other Cisco devices. If so I may have a PERL script for you. I wrote it as an interface for Net::Telnet::Cisco and Net::SSH::Perl. It has the ability to connect to any IOS device via telnet or SSH and run a series of commands. I have used it to make updates to over 500 devices. It outputs the results of the command to a text file, which could easily be formatted to HTML or XML. If your interested, let me know. It should be uploaded to CPAN soon for all to see, touch, feel, and poke fun at.. :-)

-Richard

Reply to
Richard Graves

Hi Tom,

Take a look at the Cisco-Centric Open Source (COSI).

formatting link
are quite a few snmp/perl/expect scipts and tools you might find useful. I'll second most tool thats been mentioned in this post, thanks to Open Source all the way!!!

PS. Richard, I am interested in your script if you dont mind me asking?!

Regards, Rob

Reply to
RobO

I replied to your hotmail account with a copy of the script!

-Richard

Reply to
Richard Graves

Duh... Extracted from my own MRTG install instructions is this script that will return the uptime from a router. I use it for testing SNMP. Change the host name to the Cisco router, the community name, and the OID to whatever is the OID for signal strength.

You'll need to get BER.PM and SNMP_SESSION.PM from either the MRTG distribution, or the latest from:

formatting link

use BER; use SNMP_Session; # Return the uptime of the localhost to test SNMP $host = "localhost"; $community = "public"; $oid = encode_oid(1,3,6,1,2,1,1,3,0); # Uptime $session = SNMP_Session->open ($host, $community, 161) || die "Can't open SNMP session to localhost"; $session->get_request_response ($oid); ($bindings) = $session->decode_get_response ($session->{pdu_buffer}); ($binding,$bindings) = &decode_sequence ($bindings); ($oid,$value) = &decode_by_template ($binding, "%O%@"); print &pretty_print($oid)," => ", &pretty_print ($value), "\n";

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
R Siffredi

Hi All,

I finally got a chance to upload it to CPAN. It is in the Networking section of the Scripts Repository at

formatting link
The files are:

CCS_main.pl CCS_sub_SSH.pl CCS_sub_Telnet.pl

Enjoy!!

-RMG

Reply to
Richard Graves

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.