"show ip route" - Routing table is empty

Hi folks,

I configured a default gateway and a static default route on my cat4506 switch running 12.1(19)EW2.

ip default-gateway X.X.X.X ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 X.X.X.X

I issued show ip route and nothing displays.

#sh ip route Codes: C - connected, S - static, I - IGRP, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2 E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP i - IS-IS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2, ia - IS-IS inter area * - candidate default, U - per-user static route, o - ODR P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

It should have at least show a gateway of last resort in the routing table or a " S* 0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via X.X.X.X " entry.. Right?

I have verified that ip routing is enabled.

Why is the routing table empty? Any ideas?

Regards, Carol

Reply to
ako eto
Loading thread data ...

This is only used on layer-2 devices, not a layer-3 box like this.

Any interfaces plugged in/turned up? I could see that if all interfaces were in a down state.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

create a loopback interface, give it an ip address and do no shutdown on it then check your route table again.

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam

Did you turn IP routing on?

conf t ip routing

Otehrwise it acts as a layer 2 device and the routing table will be empty.

When ip routing is off, ip default-gateway points it to the outside.

With ip routing on, you need the ip route 0.0.0.0 statement. But the subnet containing the next hop needs to be available on an up interface before the entry makes it to the routing table.

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.