Secondary IP address on PIX ethernet interface

Hi All,

I have tried to assign secondary IP address on Cisco ASA's box interface, and find out that this facility is not supported. After trying to find a trick to go around this limitation, I found out that this could be achieved by employing trick that depends on Proxy-ARP facility the following way:

1. Define a static ARP table entry with the secondary IP address, which you want to assign to the interface, with MAC address of the Ethernet interface.

1. Enable proxy ARP for this entry on the ASA box.

2. Add routing entry, on the ASA, to the subnet of the secondary IP address, making the Ethernet interface acting as a gateway for this subnet (you may try remove this step, it might work without it).

Now, you can use this new secondary IP address as a gateway for workstation with IP from the new subnet to go through the ASA box.

Notes:

- you might be able to achieve this approach by implementing the static ARP entry, with same values, on the workstation that requires using the secondary IP address for ASA's Ethernet; leaving the ASA with the mentioned routing table entry only.

- I think that this trick will work on PIX firewall also.

Regards,

Russlan

Reply to
russlank
Loading thread data ...

Couldn't you also accomplish the same thing by using 802.1Q encapsulation on the Etnernet interface, and creating two sub-interfaces?

Reply to
Mark Williams

Actually, what had driven me to do this thing is that I did not have a VLAN capable switch then I had to accomplish the configurations and start testing the related software. I used this trick as temporary solution.

Reply to
russlank

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.