SCTP association startup(destination IP address ??)

Hi ,

I was going through the RFC2960 for SIGTRAN.During an association startup , how does it identify a destination .There's a destination port number in the SCTP common header .But where is the destination IP address ?

Reply to
sajuars
Loading thread data ...

In the IP-Header "under" the SCTP-Packet, or in the Init-Message: Section 3.3.2.1 "Optional/Variable Length Parameters in INIT" in RFC

2960: +++++++++++ If the INIT contains at least one IP Address parameter, then the source address of the IP datagram containing the INIT chunk and any additional address(es) provided within the INIT can be used as destinations by the endpoint receiving the INIT. If the INIT does not contain any IP Address parameters, the endpoint receiving the INIT MUST use the source address associated with the received IP datagram as its sole destination address for the association. +++++++++++
Reply to
Bernd Waterkamp

Thanks for that , but this is for the receiver to identify the source which has sent the INIT chunk . How does the sender know to which IP address it should send this INIT request ?

Reply to
sajuars

I think i got it ...the destination IP address is specified by the SCTP users like SUA ...in the CLDT message of SUA , there 's a destination address field .So when SCTP gets this message , it will make an INIT chunk and then sent to the IP layer , where an IP packet is made after taking the IP address from the SUA packet . Can any one cofirm this explanation ?

Reply to
sajuars

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.