Route command

Hi,

I am posting a question here because a google groups search revealed there had been a discussion of static IP addresses and the route command in this group.

Question: Preamble: I use static addresses in my home PC farm with a five port Ethernet switch. Addresses look like 192.168.1.X For WiFi, and to connect to my wireless printer in the bedroom I use an MK802 IIIs created Wifi hot spot. It creates a subnet in which addresses look like 192.168.43.Z I would like a simpler way of printing from the

192.168.1.X subnet to 192.168.43.220 using the route command. (?) The same issue applies to the printer device page at 192.168.43.220

The help for the route command in Windows is written as a refresher for an expert. I don't understand.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Norm X
Loading thread data ...

Have you thought about just giving you wndows device a 2nd IP? Her is how you do it:

formatting link

Tom

Reply to
thomasjarseneault

Her is how you do it:

formatting link

8944860/how-to-create-an-ip-alias-on-windows
[lines shortened for NNTP server]

Thanks Tom, but that solution does not appear to work. I tried it on two Windows machines. I used the IP address that the hot spot at

192.168.43.1, would have assigned and it, as a second gateway and DNS. I guess that Windows is not able to find a route. I use WiFi adapters to access the printer but that solution appears to lack network hygiene. Also in my network I use a Linux machine with both Ethernet cable connection and WiFi to connect to my two networks. It is able to find the wireless printer but not able to find a USB printer connected to a Windows machine. I guess that may be a different problem, but it seems to me that the Linux route command might help and give better network hygiene.
Reply to
Norm X

Remember that the printer itself has to have a default route set up (192.168.43.1?) in order to route off-net.

A Windows static route would look like

route add 192.168.43.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.X metric 2

Where X is replaced by the address of the router that knows how to reach the 192.168.43.x network.

Why place the printer on a diffrent subnet? An access point/bridge is probably a better choice.

Reply to
remaker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.