RJ45 to RS232

I need to put together an adapter that will take the DCE end of a rollover cable and allow me to connect to a DB25, RS232, DCE type device.

I've made a drawing for it that can be viewed at

formatting link

I'd appreciate any feedback on it. Jameco has the adapter but you have to set the pins yourself. That's why I need the drawing.

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

I've revised the drawing showing the proper color code for the pinout in the RJ45/RS232 adapter. However, I've put this adapter together accordingly and connected it to a Cisco rollover cable and plugged it into a DCE type device (that I am confident is working).

I'm not getting any data from the unit. I've checked my settings and it seems to be right.

You can take another look at the pinout at

formatting link
Does anyone see any problems with it?

Regards,

Fred Atkinson

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Just curious what are the devices at each of this specil cable ?

Reply to
Merv

Are you trying to build the equivalent of a Cisco RJ-45-to-DB-25 male DCE adapter (labeled "MODEM") CAB-25AS-MMOD

RJ-45 Pins MMOD Pins

1 5 2 8 3 3 4 7 5 7 6 2 7 20 8 4
Reply to
Merv

That did it. I tested the leads that way and they work.

The only problem is that both pins four and five are supposed to plug into pin 7 on the DB25. That is not easily doable without some soldering or something.

Do you think I might be able to find another pin for a ground? Regards, and my thanks,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

I see CAB-25AS-MMOD for sale on ebay and from a number of suppliers if you are not able to find an extra pin

Reply to
Merv

That's not what I meant. I meant a pin on the DCE unit that carried a ground.

No matter. I've got it working.

Regards, and thanks.

Fred Atkinson

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.