RJ45 cable management

I need a solution for cable management for 48 port blades in 6500s.

RJ21 is what I would like to do but they don't seem to have an RJ21 blade that does Gigabit Ethernet (copper), they do have them in 48 port RJ45 though.

So, I need a successful method for cable management of RJ45 ports (48) so that if I need to replace a blade for any reason I can easily remove all 48 ethernet connections and connect them back up correctly.

A couple of weeks ago I needed to replace a Sup720 and the RJ45 cables were all over the place and in the way (I didn't do it). It took me 15 minutes to get things so that I could pull the blade out and then another 10 to get it back in. PAINFUL!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
supermikester
Loading thread data ...

I've seen this done a couple of ways. And it depends on how much time and money you can throw at it. Here are a couple of suggestions.

1. Proper labeling and good wiring practices help keep things clean. This means not allowing anyone to run a cable accross the rack because they didn't have the right length cable, same goes for a standard labeling solution. This can be difficult maintain, having control over the facility and who works there is key.

1. I've seen sites were they have created a "loom" of RJ45 cables. All the ports on a card would be pre-terminated, the cables would be tied together with straps, velcro or (if you're old school) wax string. This loom would then terminate into a patch panel (which you can locate it anywhere you want).

Having proper racks also helps. All the cables have to have somewhere to go a 23" rack with cable management really helps.

Best of luck.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
guisado

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.