Reverse Telnet from 2610

Hi guys Having problems using reverse telnet.

Using the AUX port on a 2610 connecting to the Console port of a 3550 switch using a straight through cable.

AUX port on 2610 is configured like this: line aux 0 modem InOut transport input all stopbits 1 speed 19200 flowcontrol hardware

Loopback 0

10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

The AUX port is on line 65 so therefore telnet 10.0.0.1 4065

I get the prompt for username and password.

The first problem was that each character I typed I got twice so I used the /noecho switch on the telnet command which resolved this.

The next problem is that I enter the username and password, but I then get nothing. It locks up and accepts no further input. I have to disconnected and start again but the same thing happens everytime.

Any help appreciated. Cheers Mike

Reply to
mike.anning
Loading thread data ...

Try port 2065 instead of 4065.

josh

Reply to
johnsonjoshuad

Thanks but it makes no difference Cheers Mike

Reply to
mike.anning

Mike, A few things.

1. You should use 2065 rather than 4065 - All the Cisco documentation references reverse telnet via port 2000+n (n being the port number of the line). Even though this may not help right now, this might be a good standard practice.
  2. Have you tried using a roll-over (console) cable or a crossover in place of the straight through?
  3. I notied the AUX port is set to speed 19200 on the 2610, have you configured the same speed on the 3550? Console ports are usually only
9600 - might be a speed mismatch.
  1. What does the c>Hi guys
Reply to
Robert B. Phillips, II

Reverse telnet to AUX (conected to PC running Hyperterm). This is of no use that I can think of except as a test:-)

My notes say: This works: Can type both ways. Telnet to Hyperterm.

line aux 0 no exec transport preferred none transport input telnet

3725 to PC with blue rollover cable.

telnet x.x.x.x 2097

R1#sh line Tty Typ Tx/Rx A Modem Roty AccO AccI Uses Noise Overruns Int

• 0 CTY - - - - - 2 0 0/0 - 97 AUX 9600/9600 - - - - - 2 0 0/0 -

Add to Aux0 "login local" (with no aaa new-model, and with user names) and we have login security.

I used a rollover cable (blue:) here. So since PC-console works with rolled cable and PC-aux works with rolled cable

aux and con must have the same pinout Therefore a rolled cable will be needed with aux-con.

The console port may not do handshaking. BTW an ethernet crossover is NOT useful here.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.