Refurbished 871 For Home Use

I purchased a refurbished Cisco 871 router for use at home.

I configured the router (it was pretty much clean and didn't work when I initially connected it up). Though it does get a public IP address from Comcast, I can't seem to make anything on the inside work (yes, I did power down the cable modem for thirty seconds to clear the memory).

I created a private network on VLAN1 and actually assigned each of the switch ports to VLAN 1 and I created a static route to the outside (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fastethernet 4) for Internet traffic.

I can not reach the Internet through the router at all and I'm not sure what the cause is. I did a show ip route and saw networks on VLAN 1 and F4. I also saw the static route that I installed.

So I switched back to my older 831 and I'm back up.

Does anyone have an idea about this?

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

I hate bottom posting.

Yes, I did put the NAT inside and outside statements.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Here are some of the commands you might need: (but may not be required if you don't have wireless interfaces) In my case my LAN is on VLAN 10.

no ip source-route ip cef

vpdn enable ! vpdn-group 1 description PPPoE dialout to ISP request-dialin protocol pppoe

ip tftp source-interface Vlan10 ! bridge irb

interface FastEthernet4 description PPPoE to Modem ip address 10.1.0.1 255.255.0.0 carrier-delay 10 duplex auto speed auto pppoe enable group global pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

interface Dialer1 description PPPoE to Modem ip address negotiated ip access-group ACLinbound in ip access-group ACLoutbound out ip mtu 1492 ip nat outside ip virtual-reassembly encapsulation ppp ip tcp adjust-mss 1452 dialer pool 1 dialer idle-timeout 0 dialer enable-timeout 10 dialer persistent no cdp enable ppp authentication pap callin ppp pap sent-username snipped-for-privacy@clinton.net password 0 monica

interface BVI10 ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.0.0 ip nat inside ip virtual-reassembly

ip forward-protocol nd ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1 permanent ip route 10.1.0.0 255.255.0.0 FastEthernet4 permanent

ip nat pool natpool1 10.0.0.0 10.0.255.255 netmask 255.255.0.0 ip nat inside source list 23 interface Dialer1 overload ip nat inside source static tcp 10.0.0.20 21 interface Dialer1 21 ip nat inside source static tcp 10.0.0.20 23 interface Dialer1 23 ip nat inside source static tcp 10.0.0.20 25 interface Dialer1 25 ip nat inside source static tcp 10.0.0.20 80 interface Dialer1 80

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit no cdp run

control-plane ! bridge 10 protocol ieee bridge 10 route ip

So basically:

LAN Vlan 1 interface BVI 10 Interface Dialer 1 dialer group 1 (dialer list, vpdn, dialer pool) FastEthernet 4

The BVI interface is given the IP address for the router (aka: that your lan uses as default route and that you you to telnet into the router.)

Reply to
JF Mezei

If that does not work post your config.

I would have thought that an 831 config would have been very close. The switch ports are in VLAN 1 by default for example.

Just put whatever was on Ethernet X (I forget which one was the inside one now) on VLAN 1.

Hmmm. Maybe the pppoe commands have changed. Not used pppoe much myself.

Reply to
bod43

The 831 does not support VLAN. Instead, there are three standard Ethernet ports that comprise the router and four that comprises the internal switch.

E1 - WAN port to the Internet. E0 - Is internal to the 831. You cannot plug into it. It is connected directly to the internal switch. E2 - Is internal and connected to [I think] F4 when it is not shutdown. When activated, this can be used through F4 as a DMZ. You can assign an IP address on a separate network to this port.

There is no VLAN support on the 831. The IP address for the internal network is assigned to E0.

F1 through F3 (and F4 when E2 is shutdown) comprise the internal switch. F1 through F4 appear on the back of the router.

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Bottom posting again.

I notice that you are running PPPoE. Hopefully that won't change anything on the inside of the network.

I'll switch back over to the 871 and give it another shot.

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Folks,

Problem solved.

Instead of: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 f4

It should be: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dhcp

Once I made that change, it started working fine.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.