redistribute and distribute-list

Hi folks,

I'd like to know if the distribute-list is used also in preventing routing loops when redistributing from one routing domain to another another and when of course there more than one points of redistributions between two domains.

My understanding is that such tecnique of filtering is not the right one but others must be used like working on ADs or route-tags.

Am I correct?

Thx Alex

Reply to
alex
Loading thread data ...

Hi, in my opinion, distribute-list is a perfect tool to preventing problems related to redistribution.

regards, marco

Reply to
Marco Giuliani

Thanks Marco,

I meant that when I apply distribute-list I still see that the the advertised routes on the bad side are installed in the routing table. I was trying to avoid that but my understnding is that since we have to deal with the routing table the only way is to play with the Adiministrative Distance.

I played a bit with the following scenario (within brackets Int and Ext AD for the protocol)

OSPF(110) --- EIGRP (90 and 170) --- RIP (120)

and I think that the problem of avoiding loops can be split into two smaller problems:

1) avoid re-redistribution within the domain, for instance ext routes learned from RIP distributed to OSPF and then learned back to EIGRP;

2) avoid that routers on the border learn routes from the wrong side.

With the 1st scenario I agree with you, with the second I think the distribute-list filter applies once the route has been already learned and installed in the routing table.

Would you agree? Or you have something different in mind?

Regards,

Alex

Reply to
alex

I think this is wrong... Maybe you made a mistake in distribute-lists configuration?

Yes. Once routes from different routing protocols are installed in routing table, you are forced to change administrative distance value to modify default behavior in choosing best path. e.g you have two routes

10.20.30.128/25 learned by EIGRP internal (ad 90) 10.20.30.0/24 learned by OSPF (ad 110)

To 10.20.30.155 router will choose the EIGRP one.

If you want to change this you have to modify Administrative Distance.

No. By using distribute-lists you can prevent installation of routes in RIB.

Kind Regards, Marco

Reply to
Marco Giuliani

Sounds like it.

Not a good example. The router will always choose the /25 no matter what the AD because of the longest match rule. If the *same* route were learned by different protocols then the AD would decide which was installed in the routing table.

Agree.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Il 20/06/12 16:48, Sam Wilson ha scritto:

Sam you're perfectly right and I was wrong. I forgot longest match rule.

Kind Regards, marco

Reply to
Marco Giuliani

Thanks Marco

my comments > >

I can post the conf of the 2 routers I used if it is not a pbl.

Two considerations:

1) using distribute-list with OSPF: I think I cannot filter any LSA coming from the bad side otherwise the LSDB of the ASBR would not be consistent with all the other LSDB of the area, hence that LSA is installed in the DB. The same network is learned from the other side (the good one where I cannot filter) and hence the AD becomes a tie. again I have to play with the AD.

2) using distribute-list with EIGRP: I played with dynamips with two routers (two intfs each) connected over FastEthernet, all of them under the EIGRP umbrella but one of the router got the other Fa interface in OSPF area 0.

The core of the filtering rules in my case is the following:

-------------- ROUTER 7 --------------------

hostname R7 ! ip cef ! multilink bundle-name authenticated ! interface FastEthernet0/0 ip address 192.168.1.7 255.255.255.0 duplex auto speed auto ! interface FastEthernet0/1 ip address 192.168.77.254 255.255.255.0 duplex auto speed auto ! router eigrp 23 network 192.168.1.0 distribute-list 1 in FastEthernet0/0 distribute-list 1 in auto-summary ! router ospf 2 log-adjacency-changes redistribute eigrp 23 subnets network 192.168.77.0 0.0.0.255 area 0 distribute-list 1 out eigrp 23 ! ip forward-protocol nd ! access-list 1 deny 192.168.88.0 !

R7#sh access-lists Standard IP access list 1 10 deny 192.168.88.0 (3 matches)

-------------- ROUTER 8 --------------------

hostname R8 ! interface FastEthernet0/0 ip address 192.168.1.8 255.255.255.0 duplex auto speed auto ! interface FastEthernet0/1 ip address 192.168.88.254 255.255.255.0 duplex auto speed auto ! router eigrp 23 network 192.168.1.0 network 192.168.88.0 auto-summary !

By clearing the eigrp neighbours I do see the hits on the ACL 1 on router 7 but still the network 192.168.88.0 is in its EIGRP topology

Am I wrong? And where?

As I said above, speaking about OSPF (and for advertisements back to the domain of origin, aka advertisements on the bad side), I don't think so, seen the nature of the protocol (LSDB consistent across all the routers in area) For EIGRP, I agree with you, but by now I cannot achieve this simple task.

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

Alex

Reply to
alex

As you wrote, you cannot prevent route installation in OSPF Database with distribute-list. But you can prevent installation in RIB.

"Distribute-list only filters routes from entering the routing table"

formatting link

About access-list 1 on router 7: remember the implicit deny in every acl.

Now, access-list 1 should filter any route,

Please issue this command on router 7 and copy output here...

show ip eigrp topology 192.168.88.0/24

see you soon marco

Reply to
Marco Giuliani

formatting link
Many thanks Marco , now it's clearer.

Indeed the ACL denies everything but I do not know why I still saw those routes in the topology DB of EIGRP. Anyway I started from scratch the configuration of both, changed the ACL with the correct fashion and indeed I could control which route was learned from the EIGRP mate. Also I have to say that if I use the interface option the ACL is completely skipped (no hits) in that case and no routes are filtered but by using just the regular command

distribute-list 1 in

it does work. The interface I specify (f0/0) is the interface from which R7 gets the EIGRP updates so I think I used the command correctly. Any idea why it doesn't work?

Many thanks to all,

Ale

Reply to
alex

It seems somebody else faced the same problem...

formatting link
Alex

Reply to
alex

Interesting question.... Maybe a bug? Check your IOS version...

regards, marco

Reply to
Marco Giuliani

I guess it's a bug as with 12.4.17 I don't see this behaviour and I'm told that with 12.4.15T14 they don't see that either.

Thank you all! :)

Reply to
alex

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.