Re: Importing full/inactive IPv4 global table in to VRF

Hi, Due to some specific reasons, I'm trying to import the full BGP routes from a single service provider A into a dedicated VRF of a customer (downstream BGP customer). Yes i know that importing full IPv4 global table into VRF is not scalable but in this case I have no other options. Other elements involved are:

- The router connecting to provider A is multihomed to multiple providers.

- I have to ensure all routes from provider A is not lost through BGP best path selection. The customer has to see all routes (RIB/inactive routes) and not the best path only (FIB).

- I might need to replicate the same config for the same customer for full routes from provider B and C as well, on separate VRFs.

Need some suggestions and help to address the scenario mentioned above. Thanks.

Regards, Kana

Reply to
Kana
Loading thread data ...

if you only have 1 route out havent you already lost all that?

anyhow - i havent tried this, but there is a way to avoid importing all the routes. if you must, try the "carrier supporting carrier" style option - you will need to let a CE at each side carry the BGP, but will not need to import it into the VRF.

formatting link

Reply to
Stephen

If I'm not mistaken CSC is used to interconnect a customer carrier POPs through another providers MPLS backbone, ensuring labels are carried using BGP. But in our case, we are providing transit routes to the BGP customer from specific upstream without losing its routes to BGP best path selection. If the router connecting to the connecting to the upstream does not have any other external BGP session it would be a clear cut. In this case though its multihomed to multiple transit providers.

/Kana

Reply to
Kanagaraj Krishna

VRF.http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2s/feature/guide/fscsclbl.html>>

Ignore the stuff about where you think it might be applicable and focus on what it does.

it allows an MPLS VPN to act as a transit link for a customer with lots of BGP routes / other info without importing all the BGP routes into the VPN.

The key is to allow label switching down to a CE router so you dont need all those "foreign" BGP routes within your internal MP-BGP - that can happen between the 2 (or more ) CE routers. Or if you are not comfortable providing labels to a customer (which AFAICT my company would not be) then you need to manage the CE routers

- but that is the only place the customer BGP tables are needed.

Basically you are pushing the customer BGP peering outside the MPLS PE domain of your network.

Reply to
Stephen

Point noted on focussing on the working mechanism. And Yes, we would not like providing the labels to our customer as well. Full global routing table needs to sent to the customer because they are multihomed themselves to other providers and require all the routes for visibility and traffic control. If this was not the case a default route injected into the VRF would have worked in providing transit.

/Kana

Reply to
Kanagaraj Krishna

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.