Question on QoS on a 6509e

We've recently installed a 6509e to replace a 4507R as a core switch. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the QoS settings right. I've got most of it right, I think, but the old config has:

map dscp 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 to tx-queue 2

and also:

tx-queue 3

priority high

on several interfaces. This config was in place before I got here. Can someone give me a hint on how to get this working on the new config?

Thanks!

Reply to
Steve Pfister
Loading thread data ...

having a bit of trouble getting the QoS settings right. I've got most of it right, I think, but the old config has:

a google for "cisco.com 6500 best practice" will get you several links to cisco docs - these are open access

1 issue with the 6509 is there have been several flavours of QoS implementation for different blades over the years, so QoS tends to be hardware specific

- for example your I/O blades could have between 2 and 8 output queues, and some behave differently if that blade has a DFC daughtercard.....

read the QoS manual docs, or the best practice guide.

1 way to get reasonable results is to use the autoqos commands - pick a port flavour for trunks, end user connections etc, use autoqos and you get sensible settings for some scenarios.

from memory basically the inbound packet DSCP or another marking logically maps a packet to a queue, and that mapping flows through to the output with the packet

the map command overrides the default mapping.

Some blades have a fixed priority queue - others can choose 1 queue as priority or a different scheme.

give me a hint on how to get this working on the new config?

Reply to
Stephen

I'm starting to look at autoqos at your suggestion. Does the 6509 not support 'auto discovery qos'? Is there something else I need to turn on to get that?

Reply to
Steve Pfister

'auto discovery qos'? Is there something else I need to turn on to get that?

a lot depends on software versions supervisor card types etc.

all the manuals are online, so grab the outputs from "sh inventory", "sh hardware", "sh version" and go grab the docs.

The cisco docs are good and there is plenty of info online, but once you get thru the support docs / software verison intro you should be able to find the stuff you need fairly easily since it is cross linked.

formatting link

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.