Program to show what's attached to network switches cammer.pl -> cammer_c.pl

In case someone else finds this useful here is a Perl program to report on the devices attached to network switches. It was derived from Tobias Oetiker's cammer and has added further information about each device.

formatting link
To use it you need to know SNMP read-permission community strings for your routers and switches.

A couple of years ago the program was used extensively to gather information on devices connected to a Cisco network so I'm including a Cisco group in the distribution. I'm not in a position to do further work on the program at present but as long as the interface to the SNMP support libraries has not changed it should still work just as it did before.

The web page explains what it does and gives full details on how to set it up.

James

Reply to
James Harris
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for putting this up! Did you send your improvements to Tobi?

The Perl SNMP support libraries (which I'm responsible for) are supposed to have stable interfaces; they were extended over the years, but I always tried to make sure that existing legal uses would continue to function as usual. If anyone notices problems in this area, they are welcome to file a bug, ideally by opening an issue in the tracker under

formatting link

Reply to
Simon Leinen

We were in touch about it. Tobias felt too much had changed to merge them. Of course the original had also moved on by that time. He did give permission, though, for this version to be forked.

I only learned enough Perl to make the changes we needed and I put off announcing the program for over a year in case someone had issues using it that I couldn't help with. So it's good to know the post got through to the person responsible for those libraries - and, in fact, that they are maintained. At least someone here knows what's going on!

James

Reply to
James Harris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.