Pricing of Cisco Spare Service

I'm trying to make sense of Cisco pricing for service contracts with the "spare part" designator of =.

What, for example, is the difference between:

CON-OSE-AS5400 CON-OSE-AS5400=

and why is the service contract with the spare designator showing up in the older catalogs with prices much higher than the non spare part?

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

I haven't seen this notation ever done for service contracts, just parts.

I had a really old price list pulled, and non of the CON's for any product have a = varient.

Having gone through order hell on this, doing anything based on trying to match up a product with a part number in the global price list is futile for smartnet. Don't even go there.

The only way to go is to pull a quote off the SCC quote tool based on serial #. Ie. What you believe you bought the box as might not be quite what Cisco believes it to be. They are also moving/moved towards a system of pricing contracts based on the contents of the box, rather than a flat rate for the whole platform line.

Ie. we ordered some 5350's as one way, but cisco had them under a different equivilent part #. The original part# had a service contract part in the catalog, but we couldn't order that way. The part # we ended up ordering wasn't in the global part # list, and was cheaper anyway.

The only way to go is to get a quote based on the serial #. Its quicker for fulfillment that way too.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Are there any valid generalizations about cases where:

1) A spare part has a different price than a non-spare? 2) A spare part exists in the product catalog, but no non-spare exists?

I have found both cases and I'm not clear if they are typos.

Reply to
Will

This has nothing to do with "spare" parts. The "=" sign on a part number only indicates that it ordered separately from a chassis that it goes in. In this case the "non-spare" part number indicates you are ordering support at the time you ordering an "AS5400". Since you are ordering a new "AS5400" that includes 90 days of warranty support, you getting a break on the first year of the support contract. In subsequent years, you will need to order the "spare" support contract.

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

That case is clear. How do I explain the opposite case, when the "non-spare" part number is more expensive than the spare? Looking at an older Product Catalog, I see for example:

15808-CMP 15808-CMP=

and the 15808-CMP part is much more expensive.

Reply to
Will

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.