PPTP clients connecting to PIX VPN host

Hi, all,

I have a problem:

In the past, we used PPTP clients of Windows XP to connect to the Cisco PIX as the PPTP server for establishing a VPN tunnel, this worked fine since the PIX had a public IP for the PIX.

But recently, we have re-config the network topology, so that a Router has been placed in front of the PIX to the internet as the following diagram:

Past: Internet ------ PIX ----- Company LAN Now: Internet ------ ( Router---PIX ) ---- Company LAN

So that the internet Router has a public IP and the PIX has only private IP which causes the Internet users can not find the PIX.

Any suggestion or advice ?

Reply to
bensonlei
Loading thread data ...

Hi, all,

I have a problem:

In the past, we used PPTP clients of Windows XP to connect to the Cisco PIX as the PPTP server for establishing a VPN tunnel, this worked fine since the PIX had a public IP for the PIX.

But recently, we have re-config the network topology, so that a Router has been placed in front of the PIX to the internet as the following diagram:

Past: Internet ------ PIX ----- Company LAN Now: Internet ------ ( Router---PIX ) ---- Company LAN

So that the internet Router has a public IP and the PIX has only private IP which causes the Internet users can not find the PIX.

Any suggestion or advice ?

Reply to
bensonlei

I'd suggest that you have two options. One you could install a new IOS on the router that has the firewall feature set and that may allow you to use the router as your PPTP VPN endpoint. I did not check the features on the feature set to ensure it supports PPTP. The other and maybe simpler way would be to NAT all incoming PPTP traffic to the outside interface on the PIX.

Cheers,

Kev

Reply to
lanwanman

Thanks for your suggestion, we shall try your way.

Cheers Benson

lanwanman =BCg=B9D=A1G

Reply to
bensonlei

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.