pix routing question

if anyone knows the answer to this, please help! =)

i have a cisco router connected to the outside interface of my pix. the pix is learning 2 IP addresses from this router. The actual interface IP and a HSRP address.

The default route on the pix points to the HSRP address. There is also a secondary default route pointing out of another interface.

my question is, if the HSRP address were to go down (while the actual interface stays up), will the pix use the secondary default route?

my logic is that since the arp entry for the HSRP address will no longer be on the pix, it will know to use the secondary default route...

thanks!

Reply to
shlim77
Loading thread data ...

I dont know the answer, although i suspect not since the pix is not an advanced routing device. my advice - test it after hours when nobody will yell at you.

Reply to
john smith

Which PIX OS version, and how is it learning the routes?

No, that logic won't work. The PIX will only start using the secondary default route if the primary default route is no longer reaching it through whatever routing protocol you are using. If the primary default route is being told to the PIX via a static 'route' command on the PIX, then I'm not sure that PIX will ever switch to the other interface (I haven't checked out mixing static routes with other kinds of routes.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.