Pix 501 Versus ASA 5505

Hello,

I presently have two clients using the pix 501. We are happy with the units and they've been in use for over two years. All are using the most current software available.

I have another client that wants to go with a Cisco security appliance and after doing some investigating, web searching, and reading, I admit I'm confused over what unit I should have the client use....Pix

501 or the ASA 5505.

The ASA has more ram and is able to use version 7.3 of the OS. It also has more ports (8 versus 4). From my investigation, each will perform basically all my client needs.......a secure firewall and the ability to have 7 employees VPN to retrieve data from their file server.

The ASA is priced at about $409 while the Pix is priced at about $420. I'm okay with the pricing but I'm confused as to why the Pix would be priced higher with less ram and (I presume) less features. I've heard the Pix would ultimately be replace by the ASA units

Would someone please enlighten me and give input to help me make the proper decision for my client. I'll provide any other information you might need to help with your input.

Regards and Happy Holidays,

Buck

Reply to
Buck Rogers
Loading thread data ...

The ASA for sure. The PIX will be discontinued in the near future ( although there is currently still no EOS ).

I don't see a single reason to stay with the PIX.

Br. Robby

Reply to
Robby Cauwerts

Buy the ASA and use it. THe PDM inferface will be easier for you to use. The only draw back for the ASA for what you are doing is that the IOS will not support PPTP vpn connections.

Reply to
Town Dummy

True, but it does support L2TP over IPSec, if you want to use a native Windows vpn client.

Reply to
Robby Cauwerts

Thanks for your and all other responses. I'm going with the ASA 5505.

Regards,

Buck

Reply to
Buck Rogers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.