PIX 501 for home use?

My home router finally died. It was a Linksys BEFSX41 which supposedly did SPI, but that model had a terrible reputation for unreliability. I am wondering if it would be practical for me to pick up a used PIX

501, which seems to have a superb reputation, but there are three "gotchas" I can think of...

1. I have heard the PIX require licenses -- so might a used unit refuse to do anything?

1. Is the setup extraordinarily complex? I set up the Linksys and don't need much, just a basic connection.
  2. Do I need a particular 501 with particular options for an ADSL connection?

Thanks!

Reply to
Davej
Loading thread data ...

This is the tiny, entry level box of PIX. But at least better than something like the original 506. My main problems with 501's have been the power plug wiggling out of them. (happened on multiple ones, don't know why these seem to have more issues than others).

The box is licensed with a certain feature license, and as long as the license is applied and you don't wipe it out, it'll stay there. I suppose some people might wipe it, but you'll probably get the license that the box had when it was new. If you happen to get a 10-user license, its too old to upgrade any longer, you'd be stuck with a 10-user license. If you get a box without a license, its a boat-anchor, so I suppose most people wouldn't go to the extraordinary steps of wiping the license.

As I am want to do, I usually push people away from PIXs, even though this is a Cisco group. I'd look for a used Fortigate 50A or 50B instead of a 501. Quite well working GUI, just as reliable. No license hassle, better performance, more features, etc.

Do you like command-line configuration? Does configuration like

static (inside,outside) tcp interface www 192.168.1.100 www netmask

255.255.255.255 0 0 access-list inbound permit tcp any any eq www access-list inbound permit tcp any any eq smtp access-list inbound permit tcp any any eq domain

scare you?

There is a GUI. I'd state that you'd be pretty hard pressed to find the magic version of ancient Java on a particular old OS that might actually be able to run it.

As long as your ADSL modem takes care of all the ADSL bits without anything else, then no. If you need to do something like PPPoE, you'll need at least 6.2 of the OS to do PPPoE in the PIX. Either way, you'd still need your ADSL modem in place.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

OK, good.

I just want something very reliable. I don't really need much performance.

I could get used to it.

OK, I was worried that a T1 (or whatever) input might be the standard and would be different from an ADSL input.

Reply to
Davej

I've had fortigate/Netscreen/Juniper/Cisco uptime all measured in years. They all just keep going until I need to do a software update or whatever.

Other kinds that I've had to manage, not so much (ie. Sonicwall, Watchguard).

Almost all firewalls have ethernet in, ethernet out. As long as your ADSL box terminates out to ethernet, it should be fine. In general, there aren't many firewalls with WAN ports like T1, especially not in a small box like the 501, usually you are paying quite handsomely for that kind of box.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Well, a lot of used units I see for sale look like the result of bankruptcy liquidations. Often they don't even have the power supply. I would worry that the admin password would be locked.

Reply to
Davej

Power supply is the bigger issue.

Password recovery on all three vendors I mention above is somewhat easy.

Netscreen/SSG enter the serial # for both username/password on the console port.

PIX requires you to download the password recovery from CCO (or somebody you know that has access), and netboot off that image and it'll wipe the password.

Fortigate is simular to the Netscreen, login on the console port with 'maintainer' & 'bcpb'. There's one other pattern for older Fortigate, but you can google those.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Well, in that case it looks like it would be easy to pick up something like a Netscreen 5GT for around $60 or less.

Reply to
Davej

Sure, those boxes worked well, they are everywhere, I still have a few in production. The GUI is okay, a few browsers choke on it. No new software updates for them, but that doesn't sound like its a factor in your plans.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

So, with a unit like that is there anything particularly useful that can be done with the added flexibility? I mean compared to a simple unit like my old Linksys?

Reply to
Davej

It depends quite alot on what you want to do. Ie. you have alot more flexibility, but unless you need it, it'll mainly sit there.

One thing that I find much nicer with this class would be that protocols like FTP work cleanly without having to do some tricks that is sometimes needed.

Doing VOIP calls with SIP and H.323 would work that just isn't going to function well with the Linksys.

And of course, it'll be more stable. I'm sure I have one with uptime greater than 18-24 months.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Well, first things first. Connecting to the https admin login I am having no luck with netscreen/netscreen or serial number/serial number.

Reply to
Davej

Hmmmm.... can't log into console port or telnet port either. Tried both netscreen and serial number. Also tried the reset button. Current bootup looks like this...

NetScreen NS-5GT Boot Loader Version 2.1.0 (Checksum: 61D07DA5) Copyright (c) 1997-2003 NetScreen Technologies, Inc. Total physical memory: 128MB Test - Pass Initialization.... Done Hit any key to run loader Hit any key to run loader Hit any key to run loader Hit any key to run loader Loading default system image from on-board flash disk...00%..23%..54%..

78%..94%..99%..100% Done! (size =3D 6,701,056 bytes) Ignore image authentication!

Start loading... ................................................................. ................................................................. ................................................................. ................................................................. ................................................................. ................................................................. ............................................................ Done.

Juniper Networks, Inc NS-5GT System Software Copyright, 1997-2004

Version 5.1.0r1.0 Load Manufacture Information ... init manufacture info Done Load NVRAM Information ... (5.1.0)Done Install module init vectors allocating 33558528 bytes for memory disk Formatting RAM disk...

Initialize FBTL.... Done Initial port mode home-work(2) Install modules (00a80000,01038788) ... load dns table : dns table file do not exist.

Initializing DI 1.1.0-ns b35efc0211001005 System config (1782 bytes) loaded . Done. Load System Configuration ........................................... ..................................................................... ......................................Done system init done.. login: System change state to Active(1)

Reply to
Davej

I finally got it to allow me to log in. I guess my first reset button attempt did not complete with success. After another attempt the console reported "Configuration Erase sequence accepted, unit reset." I was then able to log in over telnet. The console port is still not responding to input although I see output there.

Reply to
Davej

I'd check your serial cabling, you could have a bad wire. Although its possible for the console port to be bad as well.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Oh sorry, I had hardware flow control on in Hyperterminal. It works.

Reply to
Davej

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.